So it won't be long until the new Facebook Timeline hits all brand pages (March 30th to be exact). If you haven't noticed, you have the option of turning the timeline on now, however before you do, you'll want to get your Cover Photo setup.
The new Facebook Timeline cover photo size is 850px X 315px. We just finished creating the cover photo for our Facebook page.
Beyond the size of the photo, there are also some restrictions that Facebook has put into place and that you should know about. This is pretty important and I think also most overlooked by small businesses that don't necessarily go looking for all the fine print.
Facebook Cover photos cannot include:
- Price or purchase information, such as “40% off” or “Download it at our website”.
- Contact information such as a website address, email, mailing address, or information that should go in your Page’s “About” section.
- References to Facebook features or actions, such as “Like” or “Share” or an arrow pointing from the cover photo to any of these features.
- Calls to action, such as “Get it now' or “Tell your friends”.
- Covers must not be false, deceptive or misleading, and must not infringe on third parties' intellectual property.
Source:Facebook Pages Product Guide
I'm not keen on a lot of these restriction, especially since we no longer can have tabs or welcome pages, but it's not enough to prevent us from keeping our business page. Whether we like it or not, Facebook is where the masses go and as with everything they do, I'm sure the new timeline will evolve and perhaps even some other options will emerge.
So are you using the new Facebook Timeline yet? What do you think?
If you need a design for your Facebook Cover Photo be sure to let us know. We're giving a 25% off discount if you book before March 30th.